Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Flashbackup / Less Data?

2008-02-29 17:57:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Flashbackup / Less Data?
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:46:14 -0600
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Martin, Jonathan <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com> wrote:
I've got several "archive" servers running Windows 2000.  Most of them have disks with (for example) 800GB on an NTFS partition compressed down to 200GB of actual physical disk space.  If I used flashbackup to backup these / bit level would I be able to save 600GB of tape?  Will I still be able to do single file level restore?  Just a thought I had.

If Windows can do 4:1 compression, how do you know your tape drives can't?  How much tape do they really use?  I'd be surprised if you needed 800GB of tape to back that data up...

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org