Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Type 84 errors on NDMP backups on 6.0MP5

2008-02-11 21:11:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Type 84 errors on NDMP backups on 6.0MP5
From: "JAJA (Jamie Jamison)" <jamisonj AT zgi DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:57:08 -0800
I upgraded to 6.0MP5 a few weeks ago to fix the notorious pempersist
problem where NetBackup refused to run any of my scheduled policies or
let me manually start backups. I had been running 6.0MP4 because MP5 had
a bug that caused all of my NDMP backups to fail and to get things
running I had to install MP5 and then install some super duper secret
binaries for bptm and bpdbm. This fixed the problem with jobs not
scheduling although I am still seeing the occasional type 41 error on my
hot catalog backups, which is a symptom of the pempersist problem.

This weekend I started getting type 84 errors on some of my NDMP backups
with the error message:

Error bptm(pid=13699) FREEZING media id XXXXXX, too many data blocks
written, check tape/driver block size configuration

error. Searching for this on Google produced the following web page:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295172.htm

ETrack: 117380
advance expected_block_pos[TWIN_INDEX] if bytes_this_buf == 0

Has anyone else had any experience with this? I'm becoming increasingly
frustrated with NetBackup 6.0. There are nice new features that I love,
such as hot catalog backups and the ability to queue vault jobs, but for
every feature I like there's a bug that I really hate, such as the NDMP
problems in 6.0MP5, the pempersist problem in every 6.0 release and now
this. It's especially annoying since I'm not using TIR in any of my NDMP
policies. Indeed as far as I can tell it's not even an option for an
NDMP policy type backup.

Looking at the webpage listed above is depressing since the page was
apparently last updated on the 23rd of January, 2008, yet contains this
sentence

"This issue is currently being considered by Symantec Corporation to be
addressed in a forthcoming Maintenance Pack or version of the product.
The fix for this issue is expected to be released in the fourth quarter
of 2007."

I have this nightmare that I'm going to have to restore some crucial bit
of corporate data and I'm not going to be able to. Then Symantec will
post an eTrack notice saying "Oh yeah, we found this bug in the version
of NetBackup that you're running that causes it to expire all of your
backup images, run 'rm -rf' on all of your disk based storage units,
relabel all of the tapes in your library and then overwrite your catalog
with zeros. Don't worry though, we're working on a fix that should be
out at some date that's well in the past."

Jamie Jamison