Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fwd: VSP Files

2008-02-07 10:28:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fwd: VSP Files
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:05:24 -0600
That technote describes how you may delete the VSP file but you may still get a nasty surprise the next time you upgrade the client.

EVERY time you go to upgrade a Windows 2003 client with VSP installed, you risk having your system not boot when it tries to come back up.  All it takes is to do an uninstall and a reboot and you could be in for a world of hurt.  The technote on this (not the one referenced below) suggests that it's only x64 clients with a specific version of the client but we've seen it at least twice with 32-bit clients.  You need to be prepared for a recovery from this case when you do your uninstall.  After you bluescreen is not the time to start your planning :-)

If you're deploying clients on Windows 2003, do NOT do a typical install or you may be vulnerable to this.  ALWAYS, ALWAYS do a custom install and deselect VSP.

   .../Ed