Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Question: Is this possible?

2008-02-04 14:59:06
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Question: Is this possible?
From: Kris Kirby <kris AT catonic DOT us>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 13:49:09 -0600 (CST)
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Martin, Jonathan wrote:
> As a test only (we never used this in production) I was able to FTP
> individual DSU images across the WAN to our DR site.  Unfortunately,
> once they got there I had to run a script to import them which took
> forever.  If I had to do it again, I might try and use UNCs so the
> import isn't necessary.  Something like...
>
> 1) Write to DSU \\Backup\Share 2) FTP Catalog and Image to Remote Site
> 3) Try and read back from \\Backup\Share (different local DSU called
> the same thing.)
>
> I've had success with FTPing the catalog and reading back from media,
> and I've had success FTPing DSU images, but I haven't had time to test
> both.

Why not use rsync instead? Then you have ssh as well to protect the
data. Another approach here would be to use a mirrored SAN drive, or to
do a mirror over iSCSI. Either way, you're getting the data from point
A to point B, just depends on how far out of sync it can be.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris AT catonic DOT us>
But remember, with no superpowers comes no responsibility.