Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Replacing Physical Server Hardware for Windows Master

2008-01-25 12:04:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Replacing Physical Server Hardware for Windows Master
From: "Randy Samora" <Randy.Samora AT stewart DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:43:03 -0600
I'm about to try something that I seem to recall accomplishing before years ago
but I drank a lot back then and I may possibly be experiencing the geekiest
form of déjà vu imaginable.  So I thought I'd bounce the idea off of you and
maybe someone can verify that this is going to work.

My Master server (6.0 MP5) is a Windows 2003 server.  NetBackup is installed on
E: which is a SAN drive.  My thoughts are to shut down the old Master, bring up
the new Master, same name, IP address, home phone number, the works.  When the
new server is up, I present the NetBackup LUN from the old server to the new
server.

That sounds too easy and I'm wondering if I should do an on top install of
NetBackup after the new server comes back up or are ALL of the NetBackup files
installed in the NetBackup installation folder?  Has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks,
Randy