Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] One Client Per Policy

2008-01-24 00:19:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] One Client Per Policy
From: "tim burlowski" <tim.burlowski AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:08:30 -0600
I vote this for thread of the month.

Since there was so much talk on this topic I made a quick survey if
people care to vote their preference.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=N_2fMf4zEKDnHEU8Un_2bLf8fg_3d_3d

I'll publish the results in a week. In the interest of full disclosure
I work for Symantec.

tim

On Jan 23, 2008 1:39 PM, Curtis Preston <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com> wrote:

> As long as you realize that I'm just respectfully discussing and not trying
> to be argumentative, I'll continue to respond.  I do think you should do
> what makes sense to you.  If my approach doesn't make sense to you, then by
> all means don't use it.
>

> I completely agree with KISS, but I think my approach is the simplest and
> easiest to understand.  It's just not how it's typically done.  Questions
> like which clients are production, or oracle, or whatever, are answered by a
> proper policy naming convention (e.g. all production policies start with P_
> or Prod_).
>

> The two big advantages that I will remind you of is how things work when
> need to stop backups on a given client (much easier), and how they work when
> you need to re-run a failed backup (very easy).
>

> I'll admit that unless you are scripting the creation of your policies
> (which I do from a script that reads a spreadsheet actually), then putting
> one client per policy is a lot of initial work in medium to large
> environments.  But I think it's then easier to maintain after that.
>

> This discussion is fun!
>

> ---
>
> W. Curtis Preston
>
> Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
>
> VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies

tim burlowski
http://timbu.org/mtblog