Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] One Client Per Policy

2008-01-23 15:12:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] One Client Per Policy
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:39:53 -0500

As long as you realize that I’m just respectfully discussing and not trying to be argumentative, I’ll continue to respond.  I do think you should do what makes sense to you.  If my approach doesn’t make sense to you, then by all means don’t use it.

I completely agree with KISS, but I think my approach is the simplest and easiest to understand.  It’s just not how it’s typically done.  Questions like which clients are production, or oracle, or whatever, are answered by a proper policy naming convention (e.g. all production policies start with P_ or Prod_).

The two big advantages that I will remind you of is how things work when need to stop backups on a given client (much easier), and how they work when you need to re-run a failed backup (very easy).

I’ll admit that unless you are scripting the creation of your policies (which I do from a script that reads a spreadsheet actually), then putting one client per policy is a lot of initial work in medium to large environments.  But I think it’s then easier to maintain after that.

This discussion is fun!

---

W. Curtis Preston

Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com

VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies