Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] "piece handles" in Oracle RMAN backups..what are they?

2008-01-22 16:15:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] "piece handles" in Oracle RMAN backups..what are they?
From: Chris_Millet <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:57:48 -0800
While doing some full hotbackups via the Oracle db agent, we've noticed that
the total size of the jobs ran through Netbackup vs the database size can be
50-70% more.   Of those jobs, we see the actual data files as one part of the
backup and something called "piece handles" (from the RMAN) log also being sent
to Netbackup that amount for the size discrepency.

-Chris