Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FW: One Client Per Policy

2008-01-20 19:39:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FW: One Client Per Policy
From: Dominik Pietrzykowski <dominik_pietrzykowski AT toll.com DOT au>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:13:32 +1100

Curtis,

I think there are horses for courses and I think I should share my opinion so that readers can hear both sides.

I have a few hundred windows servers in my windows server filesystem backup and the same for UNIX. There's also one for DBs (1 for UNIX and 1 for WIN) and another couple for the exchange 5.5 disasters. As you said I have some single ones for the few that have special requirements. But being a one man shop right now with so many clients to look after I feel I have no choice.

I use multiplexing to stream as many clients to a drive that I can and so far it has been streaming well. With single client policies you must be using some DSUs as I'm not sure how you would do it with tape drives. They would be tied up by single clients wouldn't they ? I only have a few DSUs so I have to multiplex a lot of my stuff to the tape drives.

Also, have you haven't mentioned the issues with Nbpem when you have so many policies. It takes ages to run through policies and start kicking off jobs ie about 1hr for 500+ policies and 1500 clients. With 6000 policies I would hate to see how long it takes, do you ever bounce netbackup on that system ?

Yes, you need to enforce standards and rules as to when you will allow backups to happen and they might be exceptions but there should only be a few. It is good for debugging but I only do that as a temp thing and then put them into the bulk policies. But really, I can't see how managing 30 policies vs 600 is a bad thing. I actually did some work for a site which was in the 600 policy situation and they wanted me to help them consolidate and yes they suggested it, not me.

> If you're a GUI person, all you need to do is shift-select all the
> policies you want to change in the GUI, make the modification you want to > make, then save.  NetBackup will update all of the policies.

Yes, it brings up all the policies but in separate windows and you change them individually. This takes ages but with a single policy it's easy.

> If you're a command line person, how hard is it to take a command that
> modifies one policy, and add a for loop around it to have it modify
> several policies?

Again, why run scripts with bulk changes when you can do single policy changes. More changes = more risks. I know you can say one change on a policy can affect a lot of clients but it's easier to change back. I have seen policy corruption in netbackup and normally you need to delete it and recreate it by hand. Copying a corrupted policy will spread corruption.

> 2. When you need to add a new client, adding them to a new policy is
> harder than just adding them to an existing policy that's already set up.

> If you're a GUI person, right click on a policy of the same type, and
> select "Copy to new policy."  It'll make another policy that's the same as > the first one.  Then add the client to that policy.  One extra step. Big

> deal.

I'd rather add a client to a policy than add an extra policy ie stop issues like the nbpem scheduler delay after start up.

Anyway, in summary I don't totally disagree with Curtis, you do need a few policies but not one or multiple for each client. Also, I'm not saying that there should be one policy to rule them all !!! So far I've seen an average of %10 of the number of clients = number of policies and this seems to work well. But in a simple and/or small environment this may be less and in a large and/or complex one it may be more.

As a rule of thumb I setup 1 windows and 1 unix filesystem policy and a 1 unix and 1 windows DB policy. Then add more for mail servers, DMZ setups, SQL, DW, NDMP, VMS etc etc if need be. Then hopefully you can multiplex well, max the tape drives, use some DSUs if you have any and have a fairly manageable setup.

In the end it come's down to what works for you, what you're happy with and provides you with a good reliable system to restore data. I don't want to tell people what to do, just want to share my experience.

My 2 cents worth.

Dom
Still a supporter of Curtis 99% of the time.