Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] One Client Per Policy

2008-01-17 12:40:01
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] One Client Per Policy
From: <Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com>
To: <Randy.Samora AT stewart DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:07:21 -0700
All my filesystem policies have more than one client per policy.  I have, bascially 10 filesystem policies: 5 for Unix, 5 for Windows boxes.  Each set of 5 has a different night for full backups so, for example, I have a Unix_Monday with full backups on Mondays and incrementals other nights, Unix_Tuesday has fulls on Tuesdays, etc.  Similar for Windows.  Of course there's some on-off stuff but in general this is the setup.  I "balance" the policies so that each has about the same amount of weekly data volume.

In general, it's worked very nicely.

My only problem has been if somebody asks for a boxes backups to be skipped for a couple nights, this is very rare but happened about six months ago when they were doing performance tests and wanted a pristine process environment.  In this case, I pulled the client from the policy and set up an "at" job to add it back via command-line a couple days later (I'm forgetful and didn't want to try to remember).

Our oracle policies have per-client, per database policies.

I guess, to me, it's about trusting the scheduler to get them all done.  If you have separate policies per client then you're managing 600 backup windows. It's a false sense of control since, at that level of complexity, they're all queueing up anyway and the scheduler is managing the stream/storage-unit/priority levels anyway.

$.02

-M