Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU overwriting data on Tape

2008-01-15 15:35:55
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU overwriting data on Tape
From: Jon Bousselot <jon_bousselot AT sd.vrtx DOT com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:11:12 -0800
I can confirm this action, as I've experienced it first hand.  Where I've seen NBU find a difference between the inventory and the tape header is on a blind library (no barcode reader) or where a user has opened the door and physically manipulated tapes without updating the inventory.

If you really want to eliminate the FUD overwrite problem, you need a tape library with a strain gauge on the picker arm, because we all know a full tape weighs more than an empty one.

In addition to what everyone else said, if you put a tape in the robot and do not do an inventory in NetBackup, when NetBackup attempts to mount the tape that it THINKS is there, it will read the header of the tape and realize that the media-id on the header of the tape doesn't match what it thinks is in the library, so it will freeze that tape and not use it.  NetBackup does several checks to make sure it doesn't write over a tape that is not expired.