Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Frequency and Calendar Scheduling

2008-01-10 17:51:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Frequency and Calendar Scheduling
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:38:31 -0500
I've got a bit of a problem and I thought you might have some insight.
My current configuration is as follows:

Several Windows 2003 Server with NBU 6.0 MP4 Masters (one 6.5.1)

With few exceptions my policies are configured as follows

Full-Weekly Schedule - Frequency - Opens Friday Night at 8:00PM foir 48
hours - Runs Every 3 Days
Full-Monthly Schedule - Calendar - Opens Friday Night at 8:00PMP for 48
hours - Runs last Friday of the month

**NOTE - I know its not a "best practice" to mix frequency and calendar
based schduling.

EVERY schedule I define is Frequency except the Full-Monthly which MUST
run on the last Friday of the month.  Since the windows open at the same
time I have had NO issue getting the monthly to override the weekly when
friday night at 8:00PM comes.  I need to add a Full-Quarterly to that
schedule.  The quarterly dosen't neccisarrily have to be the FINAL
FRIDAY of the 3rd month - but once every 3 months I need a full backup
of a few machines that gets kept for a longer period of time.  It would
be nice if the full-monthly could become the full-quarterly (not run the
full monthly that month.)  Alternately, I was thinking I could manually
run a script to change their expieration dates every 90 days.  Any
ideas?

I know I saw a note in the admin guide at some point that explained the
terms under which what backup overode another.  Does anyone know where
that is?  Is it the backup with the longest retention?  Or was it the
backup that had run the least frequently?  Any help appreciated.

-Jonathan