Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Enterprise Backup Success Rate (Non Technical)

2008-01-07 11:01:52
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Enterprise Backup Success Rate (Non Technical)
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 10:37:39 -0500
My sentiment is similar to Paul's below.  I like to think of it as follows: You
get what you pay for.  When my network team gets a project they ask management
how many 9s of service they want.  The cost goes up almost exponentially as you
tack 9s onto 99% and many times management isn't willing to foot the bill.  In
my current environment our backup system is sometimes 100% utilized and there
is little room for failure.  Thankfully our RTOs and RPOs are liberal so losing
a full backup on Friday night isn't a deal killer.  An acceptable failure rate
(and how you calculate it) is really up to you.  We had this discussion here
and came up with the following:

Do you count multiple Oracle backup sets as one backup or many?  One full
backup in Oracle could be 50 backups is Netbackup.  50:1 or 1:1 is going to
effect your percentage.

Do you count failures against your percentage?  How about re-runs?   Do you
average the two?  What happens if the re-run fails too?

Do duplication/incremental jobs count?  (Talk about driving up your numbers!)

At the end of the day I judge my effectiveness based on my company's ability to
recover from a disaster and meet our RTO and RPO.  If you can meet your RTO and
RPO right now than you are 100% compliant no matter how many individual jobs
may have failed last night.  Backup success rate is a nice number to watch, but
ultimately ability to execute is paramount.

-Jonathan