Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.0MP4 not expiring old backup images

2008-01-05 00:10:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.0MP4 not expiring old backup images
From: "JAJA (Jamie Jamison)" <jamisonj AT zgi DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 20:51:11 -0800
I use DataDomain restorers as my primary backup system and then
duplicate the images from the restorers to tape. The backup images
residing on the restorers have a retention period of 1 month and I
duplicate them to tape using vaulting policies that create secondary
copies with either a two month or four month retention with the disk
based image remaining the primary copy.

For the last month I have noticed a problem with NetBackup not deleting
images off of my restorers after they've expired. I can select a
specific backup image and run bpimagelist against it and NetBackup tells
where the files are and cheerfully informs me that the disk based image
should have expired three weeks ago. When I check the files listing from
bpimagelist I find that the disk based files still exist, even though
they should be dead and gone.
There is an option in vaulting to delete disk based images X number of
hours after they are duplicated to tape and I could set this to 720
hours (1 month) and take care of the problem that way. However I
shouldn't need to enable this and really don't want to. NetBackup knows
that these images have a one month retention and should damn well be
expiring them without me having to tell it to.

When I started diving further into this problem I noticed that NetBackup
was also not deleting some old tape based images either. I can get
backup IDs out of the /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images directory and run
bpimagelist against them and again, NetBackup cheerfully informs me that
these backups should have expired weeks ago. Has anyone else had
problems like this with NetBackup 6.0?

Thanks,

Jamie Jamison