Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Getting a list of files from a failed backup

2008-01-04 13:27:47
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Getting a list of files from a failed backup
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com
To: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 13:06:57 -0500

Jeff,

Have you checked the KB/sec rate while the backup is running.  Sometimes a  "41" error can be caused by
a mis-matched LAN connection.  If the rate is much slower than you expect (in the order of 100KB/sec or so this
could be an issue)  When you are doing full backups alot more data is being sent.

=============================
Carl Stehman
IT Distributed Services Team
Pepco Holdings, Inc.
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

01/04/2008 01:00 PM

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] Getting a list of files from a failed backup

Greetings,

I have a file system that has started to fail full backups on a regular
basis.  The incremental backups run fine.  This file system is on a hpux
11.11 server,  There is only 228 gig of used data, but it does have
~5.5m inodes in use.  The backup fails with a status 41.  This server
has other file systems on it with more used inodes and more used space,
and they don't have this problem.  I've run the backup at various times
when I know the  network and file system load is low, but it doesn't change.

The current backup environment is 5.1 mp2.  It was supposed to be
retired by now which is why it hasn't been upgraded.

The reason I want to see what files it is backing up before it fails is
that all of the backups seem to backup just over 195 gig before they
fail.  The file counts vary quite a bit.  I'm expecting that I may have
a very poorly laid out structure with hundreds of thousands of files in
one directory that is causing this problem.  This may also be caused by
some timeout if it does hit this, but I haven't been able to find it in
any of the log files.

I was able to recovery an image from the tape listing by running
bpmedialist -mcontents -m bk7159.  That returns image
massey_1199305335.  I've tried doing the following bpflist command and
get the no entity found

bpflist -backupid massey_1199305335 -d 01/02/2008 -e 01/03/2008 -client
massey

I also tried running the bpflist this way and get no entity found
again.  This format works when I give it a different client name and
pattern, so I know I have the syntax correct.

bpflist -client massey -st FULL -d 01/02/2008 00:00:00 -rl 1 -pattern
/mnt/wizard

I'm guessing some of this isn't working because the backup did not
complete and there isn't a valid image for it.

Any help you can provide that will show me where the backup is failing
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

--

Jeff Cleverley
Unix Systems Administrator

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI"). This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies. PHI policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email communication. PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such communications.