Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Strategy

2008-01-04 09:45:39
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Strategy
From: ratheesh.das AT mindspeed DOT com
To: "Steven L. Sesar" <ssesar AT mitre DOT org>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 20:05:08 +0530

I also use data domain as target for backup. I am relieved of all the tapehandling . You get enormous compression rates also.

Thanks & Regards,

Ratheesh R Das
M I N D S P E E D Technologies
Storage and Backup | 866-772-4252 ext 2301
ratheesh.das AT mindspeed DOT com

"Steven L. Sesar" <ssesar AT mitre DOT org>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

01/04/2008 07:17 PM

Wayne T Smith <wts AT maine DOT edu>
cc
veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Strategy

I second Data Domain as a disk target for backups!

Wayne T Smith wrote:

Sure!   Investigate backing up to a disk appliance.  There are a number
of vendors ... Data Domain might be a good place to start, as they have
much of the market.

Since you do nightly full backups, they'll love you and you'll be
impressed at what you can squeeze onto their disk (will vary with your
data and each vendor).

This isn't a no-cost solution, but I expect you will love the resulting
system. *No* tape handling on backups or restores ... what will you do
with all your spare time? ;-)

If you are considering "differentials", consider "cumulative
incrementals" first.  More data is backed up, but restores may be
faster.  Also, with either type of incremental backup, how much you can
fit on a tape depends on your data.  If a few small files change ...
little tape; if a few huge files change ... maybe an incremental is
close to a "full"!

cheers, wayne (who knows a bit about NetBackup, but doesn't even know
how to spell BackupExec, let alone whether it can backup to disk).