Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore failure (NetBackup 6.0 Windows)

2007-12-30 06:17:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore failure (NetBackup 6.0 Windows)
From: bnetra <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 03:02:24 -0800
While trying to restore data from media backed-up through NetBackup 5.1 from
backup server NetBackup 6.0 I was initially getting error "cannot connect on
socket(25)". By adding server the 5.1 server in the current 6.0 server as
additional backup server I am able to connect now. However, the restore is not
working.

I am trying to restore from a tape backed-up through NetBackup 5.1 and restore
it through NetBackup 6.0 client. The restore is to another 5.1 client. Even
after 4 hours the job is still 'Active' and it does not give any error. It only
says mounting A00354 and connected; connect time: 00:00:04. No restore is
happening. I have put all the tapes (6 in all) as pointed out by restore. In
the 'Device Monitor' (Windows GUI) it shows as 1 Pending Request.

The clients and server are all Windows-based.

My questions are:

1) Can we restore NetBackup 5.1 backed-up data through NetBackup 6.0 client and
server? Was my adding the old backup server (as done above) correct?
2) How to monitor and know the status of a restore? Specially when restore is
from 6 tapes and takes longer time.

Would appreciate a solution to the above problem. Thanks in advance.

BNetra