Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VCB with Netbackup 6.5.1

2007-12-19 18:41:34
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VCB with Netbackup 6.5.1
From: "Scott Jacobson" <SJACOBSO AT novell DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:24:34 -0700
Yes the client is needed.

Snapshot Provider is now integrated into the 6.5 standard client. The old Advanced Client (Snapshot Provider) in 6.5.1 or 6.5.2 is the way and reason why NetBackup (Symantec) was the first to be able to integrate with VCB so quickly.  It's virtually the same code they've been using for years, just a few tweaks to integrate the VMware commands to start and stop the vm.

The question I still have is the pricing. In a Product Feature PPS Guild I had seen from this years Vision, it listed this as an "Option". For me, in the past with, option with Veritas means more $$$.

But remember the VMware client pricing model which has been discussed vigorously in this forum before.

Example:

ESX Server
- 1+ Windows Guests (x number of installed NetBackup Clients) - You pay for only one client license.
- 1+ Linux Guests (x number of installed NetBackup Clients) - You pay for only one client license.
- 1+ Solaris Guests (x number of installed NetBackup Clients) - You pay for only one client license.

Scott

>>> UlrichJU <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> 12/19/2007 1:28 PM >>>

I am running a pilot test of backing up the VMware VM's with VMWare VCB and Netbackup 6.5.1.   I have a VCB server that is running VCB 1.1 and Netbackup 6.5.1 media server.  This interfaces with Virtual Center to see the VM's .  But so far the only way I can get this process to work is by having a client loaded on each VM.   I thought that I had read that a client was not required on each VM when using VCB and Netbackup.   The only time I see it connect to the VM client is to verify it's existence in the beginning, from there everything is done through the VCB proxy box.  So why do I need to pay for a client on each of my VM's?  Anyone had any experience with this?   Is a client really needed on the VM's?