Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] duplicate backup jobs

2007-12-17 01:39:08
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] duplicate backup jobs
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 01:24:31 -0500
> Check your schedules for the client - if calender based
> consider and the
> window crosses midnight, check the time each backup kicks off.
>
> There was a "feature" in NB5 where calender base backups
> would kick off
> another backup just after midnight - depending on your
> scheduler timing.
> You could have it still in your existing environment, however I am
> running same version without this "feature" being apparent.

Nothing to do with the scheduler timing, and nothing to do with NB5.

The NetBackup System Administrator's Guide Vol 1, since at least 5.x (I
don't have a 4.5 manual to check) have _clearly_ stated that a time
window which spans midnight is considered two separate days, and pointed
out what will happen the _first_ time a midnight-spanning schedule runs
(once at window-opening time and once post-midnight the next day), and
that "[t]he backups will continue to run soon after midnight from that
time forward."  See the heading "How Calendar Scheduling Interacts with
Daily Windows" in all manual releases.

I didn't expect this behavior when calendar-based scheduling first came
out in 4.5, but it works the way the documentation says it will.  Me,
I've been thinking frequency-based since I moved to a NetBackup shop in
3.1 days and rarely have any use for calanedar-based scheduling.  If I
did, I'd lobby for a user-defined day.