Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Is this possible?

2007-12-13 13:40:25
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Is this possible?
From: Jon Bousselot <jon_bousselot AT sd.vrtx DOT com>
To: "Pillapalem, Smitha" <SPillapalem AT entertainment DOT com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:16:14 -0800
You can re-task the server by removing the software and reinstalling as
a media server, a configuration item you select during the install.  Any
systems that were media servers of THIS master will also need to be
reconfigured.
But in this method, you will lose all information about the catalog
previously contained on that master server, and will lose all the volume
information for each piece of media.

I am certain the concept of merging catalogs in the manner you described
has been discussed here, but I don't know if the concept of merging
bpmedialist and vmquery information has ever been covered.  The
consensus from this list is "call support" when you need to change the
master servers.

bpmedialist and vmquery data include number of mounts, first mount, last
mount, full/suspended/frozen/MPX and expiration data.  Unless this data
is preserved in a merge, all the tapes that once belonged to the
re-tasked server will appear as new media.  This can create misleading
statistics if the media has already been used for several years.

IF this is possible, it will be complicated and time consuming.

-Jon