Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] backing up MS cluster

2007-12-13 13:23:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] backing up MS cluster
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:07:40 -0600
Configure a virtual server on your cluster for each database instance.  Assign a dedicated IP address for this virtual server.  Make those drives a dependency of that cluster resource and back them up that way.  We've been doing this for a long time and it works fairly well.  You'll have one policy that backs up the static data on each physical node ( e.g. the C: drive and the system_state) and then 1 policy per database instance that backs up the appropriate drives associated with that instance.  As a node fails and the virtual server fails over to another node, the drives and the backup IP will go with it.  NetBackup won't notice the difference unless it's in the middle of a backup in which case the job dies, restarts/retries, and continues right on going.

   .../Ed