Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Over 2 million files to backup - how long?

2007-12-06 10:31:42
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Over 2 million files to backup - how long?
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Chris Freemantle" <chris AT fil.ion.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:07:34 -0600
On 12/6/07, Chris Freemantle <chris AT fil.ion.ucl.ac DOT uk> wrote:
Is it the full or incremental taking the time?
In my experience, fulls are fast, but incrementals are much slower,
particularly with many files (and probably fragmented discs).

Concerning Flashbackup - as I understand it, a flashbackup is equivalent
to a full backup, i.e. the whole disc is backed up. If this is the case,
how much quicker is it than a full backup? As mentioned above, the
problem we have is with the speed of incremental backups, not fulls.

The first FlashBackup you take backs up the entire volume - both used and unused space.  However, FlashBackup does support incrementals and they're a lot faster than the fulls.

We have 10-20M files per volume and believe me when I say that FlashBackup is an EXTREMELY valuable addition to your toolset.

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org