Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Reclaiming tapes to the scratch volume pool

2007-12-04 12:41:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Reclaiming tapes to the scratch volume pool
From: <Brian.Beaird AT cat DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 11:17:12 -0600
I've run into a problem where my scratch volume pool is empty.  However, I have tons of empty tapes (can easily list with Aptare) that just happen to be assigned to other specific pools.  I can manually run bpimmedia on these empty tapes to verify that there are no images on them.  But if I try to change the volume group on them via the GUI to scratch (or the Netbackup pool), I get the "cannot change volume pool for assigned media (91)" error.

If there are no images on the tape, what's the problem?  I thought once images expired on tapes, they were supposed to automatically be kicked back out to a scratch pool anyway.  I've found a few places where I can manually force a tape into a different volume, but it is pretty strongly suggested that you *not* do it that way.

Any suggestions?