Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Cannot expire media

2007-12-04 00:48:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Cannot expire media
From: Kurian K Oommen <ko.kurian AT in.ibm DOT com>
To: bob944 AT attglobal DOT net
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 11:07:47 +0530
not able to expire media could be because of inconsistancy in database -
use vmquery -deassingbyid command

Regards
K.O.Kurian

             "bob944"
             <bob944@attglobal
             .net>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu>
             veritas-bu-bounce                                          cc
             s AT mailman.eng DOT aub         dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net

             urn.edu                                               Subject
                                       Re: [Veritas-bu] Cannot expire
                                       media
             04/12/2007 10:26

             Please respond to
             bob944@attglobal.
                    net

> Im have recently upgraded my master from 5 to 6 and am now trying to
> free up some tapes by expiring them.
>
> When i do bpexpdate -m <media id> -d 0 <tape> im getting an
> error saying
>
> "could no deassign media due to Media Manager Error"
>
> I have also tried using the gui, set the expiration to today with a
few
> minutes time later than current time and the tape hasnt expired.
>
> Someone mentioned on a previous problem had i ran nbpushdata
> -modify_5x_hosts which i hadnt and am wondering can i run that now? I
> did run the nbupushdata -add command after my upgrade which worked.
Also
> do i need to do anything on the media servers which are still at 5?

and in the next posting:
> only be used by that media server but i assumed the upgrade
> brought all data into the EMM database

Not to beat you up, but why on earth would you upgrade without following
the release notes, the release impact bulletin, the upgrade guide and
the installation manual, each of which has page after page of "when and
how and in what order to run nbpushdata" information?  Oh, and the
commands manual, too--which has one of the better explanations of
nbpushdata and especially the -modify_5x_hosts option.

What it doesn't say is if it's too late to do it without falling back to
your pre-upgrade backup.  Since the purpose of -modify_5x_hosts seems to
be to tell the master that it needs to keep updating the media db on the
media server, maybe that means that no tapes from that/those 5.x servers
have been touched and you can run -modify_5x_hosts now with no penalty.
Or not.  I'd open a support call and find out, or back out the upgrade
and do it by the book.

Considering that you didn't a) upgrade the media server to 6 and do a
-add, nor b) leave the media at 5.x and tell the master to use the media
server's media db in situ, I'm not surprised that expirations and
deassigns aren't working--those tapes truly aren't in the EMM database
nor being managed in 5.x fashion.

If all the above really is the issue, I'm interested in the recovery.