Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to change the retention level of a tape (not the images)?

2007-11-29 18:42:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to change the retention level of a tape (not the images)?
From: justin AT postgresql DOT org
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:30:11 +0000
Hi all,

In our NBU 6.0 environment, we have a number of tapes (about 60) that
we want to change the retention level of.  From retention level 12 to
retention level 4.

I've already written a solid script (on Solaris) that recalculates the
expiry (via retention level) for each of the images on each tape, and
this is working fine.

The tape attributes themselves though still have the original
retention level (level 12).

I'd like to adjust the retention level of each tape to match the
images on it (from 12 to 4), so that tapes which aren't yet full can
receive further backup data.

Was expecting something like vmchange would work, but no luck there.

Hoping I don't have to manipulate catalog data directly.  (I have a
fairly strong SQL background, but still...)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift