Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAN clients on HP ESL library and tape drive sharing

2007-11-27 20:23:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAN clients on HP ESL library and tape drive sharing
From: "jim fred" <jim.fred01 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:09:00 +1100
Hi

I'm puzzled ..........somebody has informed me that you can't zone a subset of the tape drives in a virtual partition HP ESL 712e Libary.
They are saying you get everything i.e all media servers see all the tape drives.  This sounds very messy to me.
From what I have told  these libraries have a NSR controller from which control ls at least two (FC connected) tape drives.

You should be able to zone subsets of tape drives, in the same partition, to be shared between a group of media servers.
Having each server/HBA with 15+ tape drives connected in my opinion not best practise.

Is possible to have media a group of media servers see only a selection of tape so that they can be shared amongst themselves?
If this is possible what is the granularity?  Individual tape drivers or at the NSR level level?

Regrads Jim