Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Which media were used for a backup?

2007-11-20 14:08:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Which media were used for a backup?
From: Alexander Skwar <listen AT alexander.skwar DOT name>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:12:00 +0100
A Darren Dunham schrieb:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 01:15:06PM +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to get a report showing which media
>> were used for a certain backup? Preferably in the Java GUI
>> of NetBackup 6.0MP4 on Solaris?
>
> Looks like "images on Media" give you most of what you want.

Not quite, no.

>  But then
> I'd rather use the CLI.

Not if it can be avoided. If possible, I'd like not to do
everything by myself - especially not with such a high
price product as NetBackup...

>> What I'd like to have, is a table showing
>>
>>      Date    Policy  Schedule        Client  Media
>>
>> Or something like this :)
>
> "Images on Media" has all of that....

Well... Yes. But not in an easily digestable way. There's
IMO *WAY* too much output (for what I'm looking for).

Anyway, that also seems to be the wrong way to get the
information, IMO. I'd like to know, which tapes were used
by a backup. I don't care about which backups are on which
tape. Yes, it's sort of the same question, but only sort
of. Suppose you've got a backup which spans multiple tapes;
with "Images on Media", you have to check all the media to
figure out, if a certain backup is on them. Wrong way
around, in my opinion.

>> Can I find this in the Java Admin GUI? If so, where?
>
> Have you looked at all the "reports" that are available?

Yes, I have. I didn't find anything useful there.

>> Or would I have to script that?
>
> Scripting may give you better output and make it more easily repetable.

Well, if it were some easily accessible "one click" information,
then it would be very easily repetable in the GUI as well.

> The biggie for this task is 'bpimagelist'.  You give it criteria to
> match, it gives you a list of images, including the tapes those images
> are on.

Thanks. I'll certainly have a look at that.

Alexander Skwar
--
Intolerance is the last defense of the insecure.