Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] poor backup speeds

2007-11-16 13:46:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] poor backup speeds
From: Chris_Millet <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:28:04 -0800
We need more details too.  I'm guessing this is probably 420KB/sec (like what
you would see in the job detail) which is dismal.  Even 4.2MB/sec is pretty
bad.  42MB/sec would be OK, but I'd be guessing the bottleneck is the VM.

It sounds like you are saying you have one of the tape drives zoned directly to
the VM and it writes directly to the drive so that data is not going over the
network.  If so, you should see good performance.

Things to consider..
Make absolutely sure the data is being sent to the drive on the VM.
Double-check your configs.  Have you confirmed I/O is on the VM going to the
drive?  Maybe your accidently sending it to the master/media server still over
the network.

Consider the VM resources.. what is it doing during the backup?  Is the CPU
pegged, memory util at 100% or what?

Data type.. file systems with millions of tiny files tend to backup slow.  You
could try a raw device backup or Flashbackup.  Consider this a last resort.