Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] hp lto3 in sun library

2007-11-16 11:41:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] hp lto3 in sun library
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:23:24 +0000
On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 05:34:38AM -0800, X_S wrote:
> can someone tell me how i can disable compression on an hp 960 lto3
> that is in a sun library.  on a windows server, the option to disable
> is greyed out when looking at the driver properties, and LT&T won't
> read the drive info (can't load nt miniport driver issue).  called hp
> and they couldn't help and told me to call sun.  called sun and they
> were no help either.

It depends on the drive and some other bits, but generally the 'st'
driver on Solaris is set up so that the 'c' or 'u' device provides the
highest density with compression, while the 'h' device provides the
highest density without compression.  (This isn't always true).

You can try it, but if you're working on a drive that doesn't have
external LEDs, it's not easy to tell if it's working.  I've never tried
to write uncompressed LTO3, so I can't verify.

Can I ask why you want to do this?  The drive shouldn't slow down or
expand already compressed data.  It has a check to just dump raw if the
compression routines try to expand.