Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] import tivoli tape?

2007-11-06 23:42:42
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] import tivoli tape?
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 23:25:23 -0500
You definitely cannot import a TSM tape into NBU.  The only tapes I know
of that can be imported to/from any products are Backup Exec tapes into
NetBackup.

Having said that, there is an option for long term retrieval from old
backup tapes that's not offered by any of the backup software products.
I suggest you look into a product called Index Engines
(www.indexengines.com).

You can hand them a TSM, NBU, NW, BE, & AS tape and it will read it
without even using the database, create an index of what it found on the
tape, and allow you to do FULL TEXT searches against the CONTENT of the
files (not just their names -- their content).

This also works for old TSM/NBU/NW/BE/AS tapes that you're keeping
around for legal discovery purposes, but are no longer stored in your
backup database.  Feed them into the index engines product and you can
issue searches against them, such as:

* Show me all the tapes that have Exchange backups on them
* Show me all the backups of all the files that have the word X in them
* Show me all the emails found in Exchange backups that have X in them
* etc, etc.

(This functionality often comes as a surprise to TSM folks who were told
by their IBM sales rep that you can't read TSM tapes without the
database entries for that tape.  This product & the SEPATON VTL have
both figured out how to do just that.)

No I don't work for them and I don't have any stock in them.  I'm just
truly impressed with what they've come up with.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies