Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Preventing duplication from using tapes

2007-11-05 17:28:22
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Preventing duplication from using tapes
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:02:44 -0500
The duplication scheduling fits fine 95% of the time.  Refreshes are
done as requested by environment owners rather than on a regular basis
like duplications.  Typically we use the latest backup which is why we
try to preclude use of the tapes for other purposes rather than mucking
with the entire duplication schedule for these randomly scheduled
refreshes.

I already know the purpose of "suspend" and "freeze" - as noted in my
post I'm looking for a way to suspend (or hold or preclude or whatever
other word your thesaurus suggests is better) that is like "suspend" but
does prevent duplication from reading them.

The obvious work around is simply to kill the duplicate that has the
tape busied out at the time I need it so it will free the tape - I was
just hoping there was another way to frontload this.

NBU 6 "reserves" tapes and "drives" for running operations and I was
thinking perhaps there was a way to do a "reservation" before actually
starting the restore at some point after the backup and before the
duplication would normally pick it up.

Since everyone is answering questions I didn't ask I'm assuming the
answer to the one I did ask is "no".