Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Solaris 10 with NBU 5.1 MP5 -- Tape Drives disappearing

2007-10-22 14:42:24
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Solaris 10 with NBU 5.1 MP5 -- Tape Drives disappearing
From: Marion Hakanson <hakansom AT ohsu DOT edu>
To: "Hudson, Steve" <Steve.Hudson AT ironmountain DOT com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:02:39 -0700
Steve.Hudson AT ironmountain DOT com said:
> Folks has anyone seen the issue we are seeing on Solaris 10. We have a Media
> Server that is at Solaris 10 with the Leadville Driver on the HBA and we are
> running Netbackup Enterprise Server version 5.1 MP5. Our tape drives keep
> disappearing from the O/S and the drives go down. Either a reboot or a
> running of the CFGADM utility

Do you have MPXIO (multipathing) is enabled on the host?  When we enabled
it for disk arrays on a SAN media server, we had to explicitly list the
tape devices to be excluded from MPXIO, since multipathing is not supported
for tape drives.  This was accomplished by listing the inquiry id in the
/kernel/drv/scsi_vhci.conf file.

I also noticed our qlc.conf file (for Sun/Qlogic HBA's) has the following
entry added to it, I think at Sun's recommendation:

#Name:  DDI Force Attach
#Type:  Interger, byte; Range: 0, 1
#Usage: This field specifies to the Solaris kernel during boot to always
#       load all instances of the driver regardless of system events or
#       conditions.
ddi-forceattach=1;

Regards,

Marion