Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Help in using command line.

2007-10-17 19:38:24
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Help in using command line.
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 23:22:41 +0000
On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 02:31:29PM -0700, Liddle, Stuart wrote:

> There needs to be a way of migrating from one backup platform to
> another.  For example, when migrating from one NetBackup master server
> to a new one there's really no good method for moving your old
> policies & clients to the new environment.

It's probably not "supported", but I have copied over
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/class to a new master for migrating policies.
That worked well.

> It's even more difficult to migrate from a completely different backup
> environment (like TSM or Legato) to NetBackup.

Very true, but at least part of that is because different application
concepts don't map exactly into other applications.  I have done some
scripting for Netbackup to Networker, but it was pretty limited.  Just
client names and backup paths.  Concepts like schedules, retention,
etc. could be teased out, but not in a really universal manner.  So I
hardcoded the bits I wanted.

> It sure would be nice to have a script to automatically put together
> the NetBackup policies from a flat file containing all of the
> information containing stuff like client names, paths, backup policy
> type, policy name, schedule names, etc and then generate the commands
> to create the policies in NetBackup.

If you want to do this from an existing netbackup server, I don't think
that would be too hard.  From other systems, more difficult.