Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] (Conclusion) Are my SQL DBA's lying to me?

2007-10-15 13:08:08
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] (Conclusion) Are my SQL DBA's lying to me?
From: "Bobby Williams" <bobbyrjw AT comcast DOT net>
To: <bobbyrjw AT comcast DOT net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:46:28 -0400
I am not looking for "easy" or "fast".  I am looking for "CORRECT".

If SQL backups kill the rest of the backup system, then it ain't CORRECT.

If the backups don't happen, then you can't recover.

This thread was not about theoretical practices, but about specifics about
MS SQL.  I have several customers with several hundred TB per week of
backups.  I understand Disaster Recovery for SOX, Nuclear Regulatory
Commission (NRC) and HIPPA.

I have used the disk based backups in the Nuclear industry very
successfully.  MSSQL and Oracle DBA's loved it.

I don't mean to sound haughty, but I have to do MY backups in a manner which
meets MY SLA's.

That is why MY conclusion was to listen the SQL folks and I will have to
configure MY environment around MY judgment.

Proverbs 12:15 tells us that "the way of the fool is right in his own eyes,
but wise is the man that seeks counsel".

I have been seeking counsel. I will be held accountable for the
implementation.

Bobby Williams
2205 Peterson Drive
Chattanooga, Tennessee  37421