Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup on Linux (RH4) vs. NetBackup on Solaria

2007-10-05 16:05:01
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup on Linux (RH4) vs. NetBackup on Solaria
From: "Nick Majeran" <nmajeran AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 14:41:36 -0500
Alexsandr,

We run our entire Netbackup (6.0MP5) environment on RedHat Linux
(AS4U5) on Dell hardware.  We backup about 500 TB a month, which is
about 75% direct NDMP.

Most issues we have with Netbackup are generally Symantec / Veritas
bugs rather than OS problems.  Linux is solid and fast.

As far as some of the other responses I've read here about Solaris
hardware being better, and that RISC processors are "safer", I'd say
that was true 10 years ago, but it certainly isn't now.

Solaris 10 is wonderful, from what I've read and my limited use of it.
 But, I certainly can't say that Sun HW is better than Dell, in fact,
some of my recent experiences would point to the exact opposite
conclusion.

While Intel and AMD are still "CISC" processors, they decode all of
the CISC macro-ops into RISC-like micro-ops.  Over the years, the
amount of die space needed for that translation hardware has become
negligible.

-- nick