Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Distributed Media Server Databases vs Disaster Recovery

2007-10-03 16:17:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Distributed Media Server Databases vs Disaster Recovery
From: <Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 14:02:54 -0600
Hi all.

I need to run some ideas past some of you and seek a little advice.  NB
6.0.4, by the way.

I've got an environment with lots of media servers, lots of distributed
media databases (which I thought were to be consolidated in v6 but maybe
I'm not fully aware of what moved to the master server).

We eject media for offsite purposes - primarily disaster recovery. The
assumption I'm making is that if we have to reach for this media, we've
got a badly damaged environment and all my current media servers will
not be rebuilt in the new environment.  My catalog backups, of course,
reference media servers that aren't necessarily going to exist in the
new lets-get-back-on-our-feet-in-a-hurry skeleton environment.

So today my custom-written offsite script transfers the tape, the media
db, to the master server before it ejects the tape. It identifies the
tape to be ejected, runs a "bpmedia -movedb" on it to transfer the tape
to the master server's control and then ejects the tape.  My problem is
that this database transfer is taking longer and longer as our offsite
set grows and we're starting to miss our pickup window.

My assumption is that with the media database for that tape on the
master server, then only the master server has to be rebuilt at disaster
time.  This is one assumption I'm hoping to get your input on.

I guess my question to you, the community, is if the "bpmedia -movedb"
part is necessary.  If my environment goes belly-up and we rebuild a
skeleton environment, what's my minimum hardware config necessary to
have all my offsite tapes usable (without importing them) and what steps
should I have to go through to properly eject my offsite media?

-Mark