Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] nbconsole.exe wrapper program

2007-10-03 14:49:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] nbconsole.exe wrapper program
From: "Ellis, Jason" <Jason.Ellis AT imb DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 11:22:58 -0700

As we all know there is a well-known issue of the NetBackup Administration Console and having multiple users running at the same time. I decided to set about creating a wrapper program for our environment and have succeeded in creating a version 0.1 of the program which we are currently testing.

The premise of the wrapper program is very simple: check for a lock file; if the lock file doesn’t exist then run the console and create a lock file; if the lock file does exist don’t allow the user to run the console.

I’ve also succeeded in compiling the original wrapper script into an EXE to make the wrapper program unreadable, thereby preventing a user from viewing a plain-text script and bypassing the wrapper program to run the console directly (as you rename the original nbconsole.exe and nbconsoleen.dll file to a new name). Future enhancements to the wrapper program will include an audit log and the ability to force close the other user’s console session (incase they’ve accidentally left it open and left for the day).

I will be willing to release a copy of the compiled wrapper program once I have finished the initial testing phase if anybody is interested.

Regards,

Jason Ellis