Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] How to backup 30TB of data

2007-09-26 11:04:32
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] How to backup 30TB of data
From: "Hall, Christian N." <HallC AT SEC DOT GOV>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:39:33 -0400

MJK,

How large are you backups?  The number of files in one backup? 7MB/sec, that's what I am seeing here on my hosts. Also, what type of external storage and OS? I have tried a number of strategies for backing up my data including the following with little performance increases.  All of my backups are SAN based going through a EMC 9513, Emulex 9802-E HBA with symmterix attached storage running netbackup 5.1MP6, T9904B tape drives, and SSO

1.      Flash backups

2.      Synthetic backups

3.      multi-plexing | multi-streaming

4.      Wild cards in backup selections

5.      calendar based backups

As of now, I am trying to get the storage folks to re-design there disk presentation by consolidating into NAS and trying to do NDMP based backups versus the hosts doing the data push to tape. Evidently because my data is very similar to yours with over 40 million files one host it seems that the bottle neck is the windows host even when I try different strategies of backing up...