Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?

2007-09-24 15:51:34
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net>, "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:33:20 -0400
Dave,

Dude, you've got to get our more. ;)  I'd recommend continually perusing
some of these sites to stay current on what's going on in the industry.
De-dupe is kind of the most-mentioned topic in the storage industry
since I don't know what.

http://www.searchstorage.com
http://www.byteandswitch.com
http://www.infostoremag.com
http://www.isit.com/IndexSTO.cfm
http://www.backupcentral.com (My blog)

On my blog I've got a series of entries that talks about De-duplication,
starting with this one, "What is De-duplication?"  I tried to link all
the de-dupe entries together, so that each entry has a forwarding link
to the next blog entry in the series:
http://www.backupcentral.com/content/view/58/47/

Your question about where de-dupe resides is answered in this entry "Two
different types of de-dupe:"

http://www.backupcentral.com/content/view/129/47/

We've got directories of both types:
Hardware/Target: http://tinyurl.com/384528
Software/Source: http://tinyurl.com/2dtvh2

(I use TinyUrl.com because the URLs are very long and tend to get
truncated in email.  BTW, tinyurl uses de-duplication-like techniques,
as they run an algorithm against the string to give you a smaller
string.  Then when you click on that string, they "restore" the original
URL to your browser.  Kind of cool.)

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies