Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?

2007-09-24 11:27:44
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?
From: "Paul Keating" <pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:43:01 -0400
With VTL there is no need to multistream.

Instead of writing 8 stream to 1 drive, just create 8 Virtual drives,
and not multiplex.

It's not because of a performance issue, it's an advantage of
virtualization.

As far as performance goes, with a Disk as disk config, to create a high
perf target, you would need to create HLUNs which are striped over many,
many LUNs on your array, or present LUNs which are stripes of segments
of many RAID groups.

Many VTLs (the one I'm using, for instance) distribute the writes over
many LUNs. I'm currently writing dozens of simultaneous jobs distributed
over 28 separate LUNs.

The data reduction (compression) & throughput I'm getting with VTL is
definitely better, on a "per client job" basis than I was getting to
MPX'ed jobs going to LTO2.

Offsite is SUPER easy....we replicate our LUNs caontaining the de-duped
data to our DR site.
To bring up the other site, once the DR LUNs are made R/W, we just start
the daemons on the DR VTL and away we go.
The devices are available there as they were at head office.

Don't even need to rediscover devices on the NBU servers.

Vault works great for spinning off copies to Physical tapes, if
necessary.

Paul

--

La version française suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of
this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately
from

Le présent courriel peut contenir de l'information privilégiée ou
confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute
diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires désignés est interdite. Si vous
recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer immédiatement et envoyer sans
délai à
l'expéditeur un message électronique pour l'aviser que vous avez éliminé de
votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel reçu.