Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Script to label expired tapes in a VTL

2007-09-23 15:44:11
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Script to label expired tapes in a VTL
From: Larry Mascarenhas <LMascare AT comcast DOT net>
To: Clem Kruger <clem AT re-thinking-it DOT com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:26:39 -0400
Clem,

I'm moving from Legato to Netbackup.

In the Legato world, relabelling the VTL volume resulted in the space
being returned to the disk. This is true even for an expired tape. ie I
needed to relabel it.

In Netbackup, I think it is significantly better. This is because an
expired tape gets labelled and put into the Scratch pool automatically.
This way the number of volumes to be managed is reduced significantly.
With a wee bit of planning, I think it might be possible to eliminate
the need for relabelling. I'm toying with various options. One of them
is to do in-line copy for off-site. The primary copy with lesser
retention time will stay in the VTL. The off-site physical volume will
have the correct retention time.

Please let us know what you decide and how it is working out. It would
certainly help the community as a whole bunch of us are working on the
same issues.

Larry Mascarenhas
LMascare AT comcast DOT net