Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?

2007-09-22 09:53:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "'Jeff Lightner'" <jlightner AT water DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 08:35:21 -0500

Here’s some simple math that may help (complements of ExaGrid’s web site).

If you have 1TB of data with a 2% change rate, you’ll need to back up 20GB of daily incrementals.  To replicate this to another site in 18 hours requires 3Mbps of bandwidth.  If you have lots of bandwidth or not too much data, replication to an offsite location may make sense.  But to think that you can replicate your backups for 20TB of data to another state is going to make your network group squirm.  Iron Mountain looks pretty cheap comparing to offsite electronic replication.

We have 1 application by itself that adds 30GB of new data every day.  It’s being replicated within the metro area over a 1Gbps pipe (real time, not via backups).  We sure couldn’t replicate everything…

As the OLD saying goes, never understand the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes.

               …/Ed

--

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD

Mounds View, MN, USA