Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Script to label expired tapes in a VTL

2007-09-22 04:48:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Script to label expired tapes in a VTL
From: "Clem Kruger" <clem AT re-thinking-it DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:23:30 +0200
Hi Steve,

This is the downer on VTL's. You do not get your "tape" space back
automatically. It is for these reasons I recommend that one never go
VTL's. NetBackup 6.0 and 6.5 allow disk to disk backups; the images are
easily replicated to an offsite facility.

The time for all "tape" has come and gone. The de-duplication facility
in 6.5 makes life even easier. Why VTL's (which does SCSI emulation)
when you and use disk which is faster and has more protection?

Clem.