Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?

2007-09-21 11:03:10
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com
To: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 10:46:25 -0400

This was in response the the question about eliminating tapes.  The IT department of Discovery Channel uses DataDomain and
NetApp for all their backups.  They are running Netbackup6.0MP5. We had a tour sponsored by DataDomain.  We are considering
going to disk based backups and are looking at VTL's and how all that stuff fits with Netbackup 6.5.  We will probably be upgrading
to Netbackup 6.5 next year and adding some sort of disk based backup solution.  We are still evaluating vendors, no final decisions
have been made.

Hope this helps

=============================
Carl Stehman
IT Distributed Services Team
Pepco Holdings, Inc.
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

"Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

09/21/2007 10:41 AM

<ckstehman AT pepco DOT com>
cc
veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu, veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?

Cartoon Network.

Did your post have a point?  Discovery Channel had a special on this?  You’re annoyed at theoretical questions?  wtf?

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu; veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?

Discovery Channel

=============================
Carl Stehman
IT Distributed Services Team
Pepco Holdings, Inc.
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

"Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

09/21/2007 09:57 AM

<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?

Yesterday our director said that he doesn’t intend to ever upgrade existing STK L700 because eventually we’ll go tapeless as that is what the industry is doing.   The idea being we’d have our disk backup devices here (e.g. Data Domain) and transfer to offsite storage to another disk device so as to eliminate the need for ever transporting tapes.

It made me wonder if anyone was actually doing the above already or was planning to do so?_______________________________________________

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI"). This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies. PHI policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email communication. PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such communications.