Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?

2007-09-21 10:54:55
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 10:33:34 -0400
Disk is not cheaper?  You've done a cost analysis?

Not saying you're wrong and I haven't done an analysis but I'd be
surprised if disks didn't actually work out to be cheaper over time:

1) Tapes age/break - We buy on average several hundred tapes a year -
support on a disk array for failing disks may or may not be more
expensive.

2) Transport/storage - We have to pay for offsite storage and transfer -
it seems just putting an array in offsite facility would eliminate the
need for transportation (in trucks) cost.  Of course there would be cost
in the data transfer disk to disk but since everyone seems to have
connectivity over the internet it might be possible to do this using a
B2B link rather than via dedicated circuits.

3) Labor cost in dealing with mechanical failures of robots.   This one
is hidden in salary but every time I have to work on a robot it means I
can't be working on something else.   While disk drives fail it doesn't
seem to happen nearly as often as having to fish a tape out of a drive
or the tape drive itself having failed.