Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape encryption

2007-09-20 21:06:02
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape encryption
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "'Johnson, Wesley'" <Wesley.Johnson AT corp.aol DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 19:37:34 -0500

The Decru encryption appliances definitely compress and I’d be really surprised if the NeoScale ones didn’t.  And you don’t actually lose drive level compression – it remains enabled and compresses away the padding on the tail end of the encrypted data set (admittedly not much).  The encryption and compression is done by the same processor in the Decru appliance but the last tape block needs to be padded in the data stream.  I do not believe that the Decru compression/encryption takes up any more tape space than the original unencrypted data compressed by the tape drive.

               …/Ed

--

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD

Mounds View, MN, USA