Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Encryption Appliances

2007-09-20 14:16:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Encryption Appliances
From: "Brooks, Jason" <brooksje AT longwood DOT edu>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:50:17 -0400
I'm looking into appliances for encrypting our backups between media server
and tapes, maybe disks too, but unlikely.  The one's I've found so far are
Decru's FC Series and NeoScale's CryptoStor Tape 700 family.  Cisco has some
things (MDS 9000), but we don't run a Cisco based SAN so I doubt it would
work.  So, a few questions:

        1)  If you're currently using encryption devices:
                a.  What are you using?
                b.  Effectiveness?  Ease of management?
                c.  How functional are the Key Management features?
                d.  How is support?
                e.  If repurchasing, would you consider again?  Why?

        2)  If you're currently looking:
                a.  Who/what are you considering?
                b.  Have you tested other?
                c.  How does it impact backup performance?
                d.  Overall impressions?

I'd appreciate any input as we initiate looking into these new, uncharted
waters.

Thanks,
Jason
Jason Brooks