Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Need help with FAILOVER_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVERS

2007-09-14 17:44:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Need help with FAILOVER_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVERS
From: "Sesar, Steven L." <ssesar AT mitre DOT org>
To: "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>, "Tim Hoke" <thoke AT northpeak DOT org>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:23:20 -0400

Ah I was looking for the equivalent of FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER but
only when the exsiting restore media server is busy.

This would make a lot of sense, yes?

It makes a ton of sense! And, other data protection application vendors get it. I was performing a bake-off with another vendor and I inadvertently left 5 out of 6 media servers powered off. To my surprise, the next morning when I came in, backups had transparently failed over to the single, remaining media server! That's redundancy for you! This redundancy mechanism also applies with storage units. If one storage unit is for whatever reason unavailable, it'll fail over to a second, third, fourth.....however many redundant paths you have a particular storage policy to use.

--Steve

Justin.