Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] STK T10000 tape drive

2007-09-13 11:32:38
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] STK T10000 tape drive
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:12:28 +0000
On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 08:21:52AM -0400, Brad Hillebrand wrote:
> OK, so the LTO-4 drives have a hardware encryption option?  How long have
> these been out?

They have encryption capability in the drive, but it's not as simple as
just saying "encryption on".  You have to have something to manage the
keys.  I think there's a key SDK out for developers, but I don't know
what software is yet able to do this for the LTO-4.  I've seen nothing
that suggests NetBackup will be able to handle this in the near future.

In addition some libraries (like spectralogic) can manage the keys for
drives in the library.

This is all from talking to vendors and other folks.  I was interested
in them, but don't have any in place yet.