Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] STK T10000 tape drive

2007-09-13 08:43:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] STK T10000 tape drive
From: "Brad Hillebrand" <brad.hillebrand AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Austin Murphy" <austin.murphy AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:21:52 -0400
OK, so the LTO-4 drives have a hardware encryption option?  How long have these been out?

On 9/12/07, Austin Murphy < austin.murphy AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On 9/12/07, Brad Hillebrand < brad.hillebrand AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any experiences with the Sun/StorageTek T10000 tape drive?

I don't use them, but I did some research.
One gotcha that I came across was the writing speed.  They can only
write at either 120 MB/sec or 50 MB/sec.  There is no in between. Your
disk staging or virtual tape better be able to spit out the data at
one of those rates or the thing will shoe-shine like crazy.

LTO-4 drives are likely to be easier to feed data and a lot cheaper.
I haven't compared prices with the hardware encryption options, but
w/o the encryption the drive prices are something like $5k vs. $30k.

Also LTO-4 native capacity is 800 GB vs 500 GB for the T10k.  Both can
write at 120 MB/Sec.

Austin